Crate Zetec ready to install Cheap as Chips !

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Crate Zetec ready to install Cheap as Chips !

Postby Nash » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Did anyone see the article in April's KitCar mag on M Tech?

and I quote "Brand New 2.0 Black Top Zetec engine equipped with 45mm Jenvey TB's, injectors and fuel Rail, manufold, linkage and TPS sensor as well as the V4 Engine Management System, loom and software, base mapped."

You will need to provide an exhaust manifold and zorst. 170BHP. Now ask yourself how much?

£2,395 plus VAT :shock:

For £2,795 plus VAT they will uprate the cams to produce 190BHP.

To compare this I had a quote to rebuild my 88,000 mile 4AGE Toyota engine from the crank up and add the Jenveys and OMEX ECU and Cams etc. so on so it was / is a comparable spec with approx 170BHP and I was quoted £5,595 plus the VAT

Guess what I'm thinking now :shock:

Mark, try and get a discount from M Tech on these packages ;) :D

Excellent article for those that haven't seen it.

........Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwood03

Re: Crate Zetec ready to install Cheap as Chips !

Postby greenwood03 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 pm

neil, how does that compare with buying a crate engine and adding the bits n pieces?

i have a feeling that the loom i had made for mine was £150, but suspect that there's places that would do it cheaper; The jenveys i didnt think were hugely expensive ( perhaps thats what i told myself at the time £500?)......
need 3d ECU of some description, swirl pot if the petrol tank isnt set for injection ( + another fuel pump)...

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 am

I knew you were a closet mechanic ;)

I was trying to work this out when I was reading the article. I have heard of Crate engines being bought for £550 plus VAT but I don't know the source. I had a price for 42mm Jenveys of £350 for the 4AGE I understand 45mm Jenveys are about £650 ish now. The omex 600 ECU is about £1000 with all the sensors and loom I understand and a new fuel return set up is probably £300 ish. Ex Mani and zorst is a cost for both engines so don't come into the calc's. You then have to bolt it all together, buy adapter plate for th box and fit it, again same for both installations.

So I make that approx £2,200 plus the VAT Not worth the hassle of doing it yourself unless you want to of course.

...........Neil

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 am

no idea how much sensors cost Neil, but the DTA that i have in mine is about £500. The extra fuelling cost is prob more like £175/200. But yes i guess you're right, bought with like for like new stuff i doubt it would come in much less than £2000/2100+ vat. On the other hand a few second hand bits like the ECU and possibly the saving would be worthwhile.
That said, as many folks are going down the bike carb route that would be way cheaper and power wise similar......i think Tony B has about 170 from bike carbs and standard cams? pick his brains at the Show....

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 am

Heard my name mentioned,,,,, I think theres a number of ways people can upgrade and the Mtech route always seemed good value to me, especially the Zetec 170 package and I'm sure they're would be plenty of margin in that price for a discount - infact they will probably be bringing their mobile rollers to the show this weekend and maybe worth us trying to negotiate.

My route was to use a crate Zetec, custom i/l manifold, GSXR Throttle boddies (trouble with Bike Carbs on an ECU controlled engine these days is emmisions, better to contrul the fuel with the ECU than needles!) and an Emerald ECU - all in I reckon it cost me about £1200 which included the exhaust manifold too, obviously I fitted myself !

I happened to have a high pressure fuel pump and accumulator from a Golf GTI kicking about which I used for the fuel set up, neat and light and easy to conceal - I could have used seperate swirl pots and HP pumps but the difference would have been cosmetic only.

I'll take my bonnet off at Detling if anyone want's to look at mine !!!!

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 am

Comparing quickly to what I'm doing max cost is £800 to £1000 for 2.0litre vauxhall pushing it fairly easily to 190-200bhp. Gsxr tbs etc megasquirt

Plus a bellhousing if you needed it.

Ok not a crate engine, but rebuilt anyway.

I suppose you just save so much money doing it yourself and not getting other people to do it!!!
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:49 pm

had a price today £1800 for 2000 sti zetec fitted using my omax 600 ecu, that was to set up on rolling road new cluch cam belt, ect 180 bhp engine done 20000 miles .or £4000 about 450 bhp gulp bit much , the guy at devil developments realy knows his stuf, he loves zetecs and they stay together a guys done 44000 miles 500bhp on tap; cool, sti ithink cheers paul

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Update on this thread. At Detling I spoke with GPS (Zero kitcar boys) who will provide a crate Zetec 2.0 Blacktop), 45mm Jenvey TB's, injectors and fuel Rail, manufold, linkage and TPS sensor for "£2,200 inc the VAT

They can also do the Engine munts and exhaust manifold at good prices apparently.

I'll keep looking at this rate someone will pay me to take one ;) :D

For reference a crate Black Top only is £750

.......Neil

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:42 pm

didnt know were to post this ,but my mate wants a kit car he can fit in , 6ft3 he's a big lad, 21 stone, ie needs big kit, any comments please ?cheers paul

daxmatt

Postby daxmatt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 pm

tell him to eat less food,then let us know how he gets on

Return to “Car Related Discussion”