Fun with V8s and Dax Rush

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Richard

Fun with V8s and Dax Rush

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:03 am

Some of you will know that I am building a second Dax Rush with a 5.0l TVR (Rover) V8 in it. I have also fitted ABS brakes. However to get through the IVA test I need to swap the TVR V8 with an old 3.5 V8 with twin SUs so this is phase 2. Phase 1 was to get the TVR version complete except for final trim and a few other things I can do later. Phase 3 is to strip it all down, powder coat the chassis, re-build it all and finish off the trim and paint it.

My phase 1 was complete at Christmas being to get the car running with the TVR V8 in it so I'm in phase 2 with the old 3.5 V8. That's now in but before starting it I tried to get the oil pressure up ... and failed last weekend. Tried again on Saturday with all sorts of pump priming attempts but ended with oil all over the place and on my last try at using a drill on the pump shaft, the end fell off right into the timing chain void!

Then I started to strip that off but needed to take off the crank pulley to get a bolt out. Chocked wheels and put it in gear to hold the engine to undo the crank bolt. Found out that the clutch slipped and would not hold the engine from turning over. So, now the engine needs to come out and I'll put on the TVR clutch instead and get at that lost bit of copper tube!

Yesterday I decided to change tactics and took off the head of my Pinto Rush as I am sure I have a cracked head. So that now off and on my workbench all ready to sort that out! Will I have a car for the summer?

Fun, 'aint it!!

(Anyone any good at getting V8s in and out and fixed?)
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

greenwood03

Re: Fun with V8s and Dax Rush

Postby greenwood03 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Sounds like you have your work cut out Richard! Still, look forward to seeing you in one of them soon :)
Feel free to share any pics - bit of motivation for us all, I almost felt inspired to go and check the water on mine after reading of your efforts!!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Like this? Phase 1

Image < My son

Image < Me
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:52 pm

I almost feel ashamed for taking mine to to the Doc's for a bit of TLC ! ( I stress 'almost' )......well done, looking forward to seeing the final product.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”