Cyana Phoenix

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Cyana Phoenix

Postby Nash » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:23 pm

Greetings the house. I am currently sat on the M6 at a service Station just outside Manchester having been this morning to look at the Cyana Cars Phoenix JeffW posted a link to the other day. It's in Cheshire :o

Car is ok. It is in need of some work to bring it unto snuff, for example, rollbar is hideous and not very functional I think. Dash is not great, seats need replacing, looks tired under the bonnet and given it's only done 200 miles it's a worry. The rear wheels foul the arches (14" wheels).

On the positive side runs well and the mx5 lump, box and diff seem sound. All I have described are cosmetic (with the exception of the rollbar) and easy enough to sort out.

Ian seems a nice guy and is prepared to take a deal. PM me if interested and I can give you more details.

I had a run in it but it was Stotting down so couldn't really get a feel for it.

He has put a door in the driver side which also bugged me.

All in all I was tempted but it needs a grand spending on it to sort it.

Anyway it's good to share.

........... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

jeffw

Re: Cyana Phoenix

Postby jeffw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm

So not one for you then ? Sounds like cosmetic items as you say, the door and Rollbar would be the irritating items I think.

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Sounds like a bit of a potential money pit... Door wtf!
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:46 pm

It will be basically a sound car...it has been for sale for some time so it might be worth a punt at say...£4300

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 pm

I dont understand why if it is a good car it has not sold. Do you know how old the kit is.
Top man Neil for checking it out.
Would be good if you could make a list of all the things to look for.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Neil just out of interest did you know about the door before you went? There's no indication of it at all on the advert, and I'd be seriously pissed if I'd driven all the way there only to find some feeble muppet couldn't be arsed to lift his leg* over the side pod.

* assuming of course (s)he had a leg and isnt "differently abled", in which case, I get my coat...

Furyblade_Lee

Postby Furyblade_Lee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:12 pm

The Cyana MX5 is one kitcar I never understood why it didn't take off. But as you noted, the demonstrator did look a bit naff and hideous in places, considering the Phoenix is quite a pretty car to start with, I really think they went out of their way to make it look bad, not least smoked blue (?) headlight covers. I think Cyana missed a trick as like it or not, the MX5 has a stigma quite undeserved ( I bought one in February to race in the Ma5da racing championship, but thats another story...... ) and had they fitted a supercharger to the demonstrator they could have made a real impact. They could have offered pretty £15K turnkey cars with nigh on 200bhp, Caterham R400 performance with a chassis and aerodynamics to match it. They offered that thing. :roll:

For £4,500, +£2K of supercharger and a bit of TLC that car could be quite a tool :twisted: , i'd have it!!!!

*re: the last post, I have in the past contemplated cutting doors into my Phoenix a-la the Lola MK1 which the Phoenix / Cyana were Jeremy Phillips loose homage to. I also have a Fury front windscreen and GRP scuttle which I thought about grafting on and adding a zagato-style double-bubble roor to make it a coupe. That would be quite something. But in the end, I just lift my leg over the sidepod!

Nogoingback

Postby Nogoingback » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 pm

So i will put on my list of things to look for NO DOORS

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 pm

What you have to realise is Cyana Cars is Ian Boulton. The guy I went to see today. His main business is packaging machines and he is currently patenting a second machine design which is clearly eating money.

He hasn't done anything with the Cyana company for a long time. He has the jigs and moulds but by his own admission the moulds are not good enough and the chassis jigs are in Hull somewhere. All in all the company is dormant and the Cyana is based on the Mk4. Caged own the rights to the round tuned chassis and Mk5 shape.

The car can be had for a lot less then the £5200 it's advertised for and there was talk of a supercharger today Lee but in reality it's not going ro happen on Ians watch. No money or time and little enthusiasm left.

I didn't know about the door beforehand Hugh and it was one of the reasons I walked. In reality it isn't as well finished as mine and I would need to spend more on it to get it to the standard I would be happy with and if I'm going to do that I may as well spend that money on mine.

I could see you driving though Bryan ;)

.......... Neil

PS they are all money pits Ben :roll:
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:53 am

Some more than others !!!

I'd be pissed with anyone that advertised a car and left out something major like it had a major modification :(
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Return to “Car Related Discussion”