Pinto Upgrade

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

David T

Re: Pinto Upgrade

Postby David T » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:14 am

I have zero regrets spending a bit (more than a bit?) extra on proper car throttle bodies. I've the Webcon Pro 4 kit. Fitted it, turned the key and the engine started. Has run faultlessly for the last 15K miles. The responsiveness is excellent and I'm fairly convinced you just can't ever get that 100% with bike throttle bodies, especially lower down. But I also get that some people want to keep costs to a minimum and get the satisfaction of putting the parts together themselves.

The Pro 5 is out now, which I believe has the ability for any generic rolling road to tune it (if you needed to), as opposed to just Webcon agents like NMS. Jenveys and an Omex would also work, but you'd need to factor in rolling road time and maybe traillering, etc.

Sounds like a very exciting project that will keep giving smiles for a long time to come. Good luck!

dray13dad

Postby dray13dad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:24 pm

Where am I going wrong .have 148bhp and whilst others are going in a straight line at the w/end why oh why am I going side ways on a straight road . 2.1 pinto is all ive got

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Tyres, suspension setup?
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:45 pm

No need to go for new,.. look for a low mileage fiesta ST150 engine, give it a refresh if you want some piece of mind, new mains and big ends (straight forward job) maybe pop the head off and give it a clean and replace the valve guide seals and a new headgasket. The ST150 has a "hi port head" which gives better breathing, some say its worth around 10bhp. Some on the bay with reasonable mileage circa £500-£700.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ford-fiesta-st150-breaking-compleate-engine-30k-miles-/221550084672?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33956a0240
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Phew, thanks guys, I thought I'd made my mind up on this one... then I opened my mouth!

Had a couple of interesting phone calls & PM's with some good advice, some saying Zetec some saying Duratec...

I think if I go down the duratec path then I would want to see it running, I have looked at possibly buying a low mileage right off and stripping the motor out of that, alternatively I could buy one off a pikey who's gonna lie through his teeth about where it came from and how many miles it's done, the idea of a strip down and rebuild of an engine wasn't part of the plan. Except for the bellhousing there doesn't seem to be too much difference to what I would need to do in either option, although I understand I'd be forced to use car TB's on the Duratec? This is going to be more expensive though.

Or I just stay safe (and cheaper) but compromise on the power.....

Oh well I have a bit of time to think and rethink and rethink again whilst I strip the anchor out, I might stand at the gates at brands on Saturday and do a poll...
9 is more than a number

hearntd

Postby hearntd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm a bit late to the party (story of my life :shock: :shock: ).

Last year I swapped from Pinto to Duratec and to be honest it was the single best thing I have done to the car, it is a lot lighter for a start the power response etc. is amazing. As with David T I have the Webcon Pro 4 and I am more than happy with this and the support that I have have form the guys at Webcon has been fantastic.

It was actually a reasonably easy swap in the end although I did make life a bit more complicated by re-wiring most of the car putting a new fuel tank in and many other bits (still did it in only 3 months)

I have a few spare bits for Duratec if you ended up that way (bell housing etc.) 8-) 8-)
who's more foolish.....

the fool or the fool who follows him???

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:39 pm

That's interesting Trevor, I might pick your brains if I go down that road..Would like to pop over and have a butchers and would be interested in any surplus bits should I choose the Duratec.
9 is more than a number

hearntd

Postby hearntd » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Phil N wrote:That's interesting Trevor, I might pick your brains if I go down that road..Would like to pop over and have a butchers and would be interested in any surplus bits should I choose the Duratec.

Phil, Now worries that can be arranged. I even have a spare Duratec :o :o
who's more foolish.....

the fool or the fool who follows him???

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:06 pm

:shock: :shock:
9 is more than a number

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Right sorry, really late to this party. Phil as you know I went crate Zetec on Jenveys and Emerald ecu. Don't forget you'll need the shortened sump.

I get 175bhp out of my car and it's smooth and reliable. You are more than welcome to drive it to get a feel for how it works together.

If I were doing it again I would contact Dunnell as they do a 190bhp guaranteed zetec on tb's engine package . Don't know the cost but worth a look.

If you're at Brands on Saturday take mine for a drive.

........ Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Car Related Discussion”