Pinto Upgrade

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Phil N

Re: Pinto Upgrade

Postby Phil N » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes please mate, that would be great.
9 is more than a number

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:10 pm

interesting, i'd like to understand why bike bodies couldnt be used on a Dura? or is it that those that have done the conversion ( not just skcc'ers) have just opted for the jenvey /webcon route???

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Maybe I mis-understood, it looks like they can be fitted but maybe the point was they are difficult to get working properly?
9 is more than a number

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Phil N wrote:Maybe I mis-understood, it looks like they can be fitted but maybe the point was they are difficult to get working properly?

There'll be plenty of cars out on sat to either drive, passenge in, or sit in & rev (mine included). Should help sway you one way or the other.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Phil N wrote:Maybe I mis-understood, it looks like they can be fitted but maybe the point was they are difficult to get working properly?

That was the point I was making.. they can be a PITA regardless of engine type. As Jeff says do it once do it right... though I appreciate some have had success with bike bodies. If I hadn't gone the supercharger route, there would be a set of direct to head jenvey bodies bolted on by now.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:59 pm

OK thick question here, what's the difference between bike throttle bodies and jenveys, I mean hardware wise not just the results. Why are they better, why do they work better and what justifies the £2K price tag?
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm

i've no ology to support this, so will leave someone far more clever to stamp all over this....but presumably its down to tract length, position of injector/butterfly - yep like 74.5% of statistics i have no basis for that statement. But that's what my faulty logic says.

Dick

Postby Dick » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Ok ill own up im now trying to get bike itb's to work on a zetec , I have in the past had them on honda engines without any problems and was well pleased with how they worked. On these engines we used a different injector port.
Im using gsxr individual ones that i intend mounting on to a manifold with the correct spacing, i will all so be mounting mine so the angle of the itb's match the inlet port unlike most standard jenvey set ups that dont. The problem seems to be the postion of the injector to the butterfly but i have a plan for this also. The injectors im using are muli nozzle type so will give better fuel at low revs.

A note i allways say ill or me, when i mean the me and the boys
I will post up when i have finished testing if it works the setup will be about £600 plus filters

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:33 pm

greenwoo wrote:i've no ology to support this, so will leave someone far more clever to stamp all over this....but presumably its down to tract length, position of injector/butterfly - yep like 74.5% of statistics i have no basis for that statement. But that's what my faulty logic says.

Mine is also a limited understanding (O level - English Literature) One of the fundamental differences is the design to cope with the differences in air velocity, higher revs,.. more suction,..

The other aspect is throttle openings, btb's have a shorter throw to work on a twist grip, ctb's on a longer throw pedal, though this can be engineered out. There may also be some fundamental differences in injectors, flow rates, spray patterns, etc but that's an assumption on my part.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

David T

Postby David T » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 am

If the car TB's manufacturers started with a clean sheet of paper and designed the car TB's, why did they end up with what they did? They didn't end up with something that looked like bike TB's. Maybe they did, but that was not a good business model! That's not to say bike TB's can't in theory achieve exactly the same performance with some fettling.

Personally, and I've no evidence as such to justify, is that at wide open throttle pretty much any kind of throttle body will produce 175BHP on a Zetec, as it is just a 45mm hole with fuel being atomised in a uniform airflow. What happens at settings less than WOT is where the different characteristics come in.

I got my Pro4 set up for £1800 (10% discount). This includes:

Throttle bodies / Injectors
Throttle cables
K&N filters
Manifold
ECU
Dash warning lights
Engine loom with all correct Ford plugs
Car loom (to fuel pump, etc.)
Relays
Water temp sensor
Fuel filter and mount
Rubber pipes, hose clips, etc.
Fuel pressure relief valve
Lambda sensor
Lambda sensor boss
(and probably something I forgot to list)

High pressure fuel pump was extra.

I've never seen a complete cost breakdown for the bike TB's, but I imagine by the time all the pieces like Lambda sensor are added in, along with trips to rolling road, it is probably more than initially thought. I'm not saying more or maybe near car TB's.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. Weighing up the options and choosing is all part of the fun, no?

I'm not on the road right now, but more than happy to pop over and help during the project if I can.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”