Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

SteveRST

Re: Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby SteveRST » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:18 am

ChrisL wrote:I'll give Steve's suggestion a go first, as there's a little space issue with taking the oil filter off...

Hi Chris, you do have to do as Dick says and get some oil into the oil pump though. That's what I mean by priming it. It needs something to work with to start creating suction to pull oil from the sump.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 am

Oh well, 2 steps forward 1 step back...

Thanks for letting me know
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Tried putting the hole in the outer ring of the oil filter mount but didn’t manage to get the thin tube into the hole enough to actually put oil in, so filled the oil filter with oil and put it back on. Tried cranking with plugs out but still no joy. Will try getting oil in the hole tomorrow...

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:16 pm

Chris - just a thought - this is your 'new' engine right? Did you swap the oil pressure sender for the one that was on your old engine, or just use the sender that came with the new engine?
I'm just wondering if the pressure sender is not compatible with your gauge?
I know I've got a VDO gauge and have to swap my sender over to use the old VDO one.

I guess one way to check if you've actually got any oil pressure is to crank it over with the sender (or filter!) disconnected from the block and see if you get lots of oil squirting out!
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Cheers Steve, good call but I’m using the “old” sender. Added oil via the outer hole and refilled the oil filter, it had gone down by a couple of cm but still no pressure. TBH I’m beginning to suspect the oil pump. Will try fitting the remote and using a manual gauge...

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:18 am

More oil and a remote with a pressure gauge and the sender still no joy! Also noted that the crank front oil seal is weeping so...
I've started stripping the old engine, with a bit of help from Mr Haynes. So far the bores look good, there's still evidence of the cross hatching. The head is a little out of true, I've not looked up the specs but measuring from corner to corner across the head the a gap of 0.18mm in the centre, no idea if that's good or bad but I did read of a chap you had 3mm which is what I was expecting. The camshafts all look ok no scoring or shiny spots but will measure before re fitting.

below is a pic of one of the bores, they all look like this, the particles appear to be rubbery so I'm guessing too much sealant used (by me) when fitting the sump, season learnt ;-)

IMG_7391.JPG

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:39 am

I use three bond 1215 for engines. Doesn’t break off, though I don’t go mad with applying it. It’s used by a number of manufacturers including Subaru for their engines.

A bit pricey, though as Jeff always says, do it once do it right. Reasonably priced at dt.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/three-bond ... tbetb1215/
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up, will get some

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:57 am

Just checked the specs and 0.1mm is the max, so looks like I'm looking at a head skim - is that an essential service (as in CV19)?

Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:04 am

Something you may want to consider before you bolt the head on is the piston rings. Zetec use a soft light sprung piston ring system these can be damaged by excess heat , they lose some tension . So as the engine is without head maybe pull pistons out de-glaze the cylinders and fit new set of rings and be bearings .

Return to “Car Related Discussion”