Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Tony B
Site Admin

Re: Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby Tony B » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:03 am

ChrisL wrote: Thinking Steve RST but he's probably busy doing the Setimolod '17 video!

!

You've got more chance of your car being completely finished, RRed and a few thousand test miles on the clock :lol:

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Tony B wrote:
ChrisL wrote: Thinking Steve RST but he's probably busy doing the Setimolod '17 video!

!

You've got more chance of your car being completely finished, RRed and a few thousand test miles on the clock :lol:

He's probably right :oops:

Sounds like a great project Chris. Get the plenum work-in-progress pics up!

I recently re-did all my fuel lines in 8mm ID for both supply and return. That'll flow plenty of fuel in an EFI system and, from what I read, most suggest running the same diameter for return. Fuel hose you want to cope with increasing ethanol in petrol is spec'd as SAE30 R9. Google it and people talk of lots of fake hose around though.

My experience of Megasquirt has been pretty good. I ordered it to suit my engine... zetec running standard (twin) coilpack, wasted spark setup so not using a cam sensor. Engine position is determined using a standard Zetec crank position (VR) sensor and the zetec flywheel which has the 36-1 trigger designed in to it, so no need for a different trigger wheel.

Wiring it up involved extending the basic MS loom and soldering suitable connectors. Checking and double checking. My engine started up ok. In fact I was kinda amazed that it just ran... maybe I was particularly luck. Took quite a while to get it to idle reasonably. Then multiple times tweaking the maps and tables, buy that's parr of the fun and learning process.
I like the MS tunerstudio software and autotune works great. My car been spanked for 4 years now without issue - lots of track days and trips abroad and never been on a rolling road or tuned by anyone else.
I did have trouble with getting the ECU to control the cooling fan. I've never been able to get this to work. Configuring inputs/outputs like that is complicated I think because it likely would need changes to hardware rather than just software? Not sure, I gave up on that.
I am a little concerned that the MS ecu doesn't look very 'durable'... i mean in terms of moisture ingress, shock proofing, etc. All a bit 'home-made' in that respect... which i guess was the original idea to be fair.

What's the price difference compared to OMEX etc? Why not MS3 rather than MS2? Ive read good feedback on ME221 ecu which may be another cheaper option. Popular with the MX5 turbo lot.

Steve
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Pics of the plenum build
Attachments
43A18974-EA71-4C99-970F-6E9116600D70.jpeg
21769E9C-40CE-453F-AB66-63E5CA40E890.jpeg
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Only 1, slight problem, the plates the wrong way round! Yes I checked it, twice! and marked it up, but seems I was off my head when I checked it!!!

Re MS yes looking at a V3 from trigger wheels at £350, Omex comes in at £660 and the ME221 at £695, so would prefer the MS option. Also glad to hear that I can use my crank position sensor and the front of the car is going to get busy.

Was planning on 8mm feed/return kunifer lines, p-cliped and then flexi at the ends.
Also ordered the supercharger as £200 bit of a bargain as they mostly seem to go for £300.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

ChrisL wrote:Was planning on 8mm feed/return kunifer lines, p-cliped and then flexi at the ends.

That's what I have, works fine on a normally aspirated 2.0 Zetec.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Super chargers turned up. Current plan is to move the exhaust side engine mount back to clear a space for the alternator.
I'm going to weld a couple of mounting bars in front of the drivers footwell for the swirl pot and HP pump.

Any views on JIC mount vs push fit?

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:53 am

Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks Rob, think I'm going to stick with the mega squirt, I don't fancy fixing someone's bodged loom and potentially broken Omex.

Super chargers arrived and will need rebuilding, so might need to find someone local with a press.
Making good progress getting the old fuel line out, luckily had the brain wave of removing the drivers ali panel so I can access the tunnel, will also fix the routing of the speedo cable while I'm here (another job to add to the ever-growing list!)

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Read all the thread and sounds a great project! As a footnote I hope that Omex isn't a duffer! I bought it at the weekend :roll:

Seems to be functioning fine though as far as PC interface etc

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Making some progress with the fuel line, but have run out of P clips! Also discovered the the bolt the holds the back of the gearbox to the tunnel mount was missing, lucky I had a spare.

1B5FC4A7-8897-46F4-8398-2D26C47A5B9B.jpeg
F5B59E30-F688-4215-8FA8-F6C21F9060D8.jpeg

Return to “Car Related Discussion”