Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby ChrisL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:01 pm

I thought it was about time I declared my winter upgrade plan and welcome positive, constructive comments but the first person to suggest spending £15K will get a size 10 heading their way!!! First off I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing, I know that and plan B is put it all back, I’m trying to progress in a way that will let me do this until I’m certain this will work, or as certain as I can be. I’m not looking for masses of power but obviously more is good, so this is really a flight of fancy. So what am I planning, simply a supercharger at as lowest cost as possible.

The plan so far:

1. Build a plenum: I’m putting together a pepper performance plenum, about 15% through although it needs a lot of work to get things to fit;

2. Attach a Mondeo 2.0 Fuel rail: Fuel rail bought but still need to size and buy injectors;

3. Run a new fuel line, existing one is about 6mm dia and am planning on adding a 8 or 10mm to use as the feed, the 6mm will be the return;

4. Buy and install LP and HP pumps and swirl pot;

5. Put in a lambda sensor wide band, I think

6. Buy and install a MegaSquirt v2.3 not sure if I’ll need a trigger wheel but am planning on giving them a call when I’m a bit further down the road, also if I stop at this point I’ll have injection and it could be the cut off for this year;

7. Buy a Mercedes Eaton Super charger, looking at the M62 which I believe is Merc# 1110900380, this should provide a better boost than the M45 and won’t suffer from heat inefficiencies as badly as the M45;

8. This will probably mean re-locating the alternator to the exhaust size – big unknown here

9. And will need to fit a remote oil filter and possibly cooler.

So am I mad – yes, will I regret doing this, yes but if I succeed, well the rewards are incalculable!!!
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Rob E

Re: Man with spanners - thinks he's a mechanic

Postby Rob E » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:27 pm

its a cracking idea, just like everyone elses idea to seek more power :lol:

its the bug that gets us all in the end - just make sure you keep regular updates - will it be ready for next years tour??

Rob did his on the cheap :roll:

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:04 pm

indeed, some of it may be ready, if all else fails it'll be on carbs unless I truly feck up the megasquirt install, but I hear you're quite good at wiring...

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Chris, I wouldn’t recommend megasquirt, unless you have a degree in electronics, have time to read the huge manuals and fancy building it yourself. If you are going for off the shelf solution, it’s not plug and play and don’t expect it it to work straight away even with a “base map” Expect poor support and back up, having to adjust the pots inside the box and endless fooking about to get it working half decently, especially if you buy it from extra efi. It’s also false economy, there is very little if anything at all in terms of cost saving when comparing with omex or emerald systems, especially when you add in the endless tanks of fuel you use trying to self tune the mega squirt.

Don’t think it’ll be different for you, believe me.. it won’t.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 pm

Best of luck Chris, you know there are plenty of people on this site that have a lot of experience building and upgrading cars so plenty of help, you just need to keep us updated when you can.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony T

Postby Tony T » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 pm

[quote="b33fy"]Chris, I wouldn’t recommend megasquirt, unless you have a degree in electronics, have time to read the huge manuals and fancy building it yourself. If you are going for off the shelf solution, it’s not plug and play and don’t expect it it to work straight away even with a “base map” Expect poor support and back up, having to adjust the pots inside the box and endless fooking about to get it working half decently, especially if you buy it from extra efi. It’s also false economy, there is very little if anything at all in terms of cost saving when comparing with omex or emerald systems, especially when you add in the endless tanks of fuel you use trying to self tune the mega squirt.

Don’t think it’ll be different for you, believe me.. it won’t.

yup what he said :? :?

Tony T

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 am

ChrisL wrote:So what am I planning, simply a supercharger at as lowest cost as possible.

Excellent! Nothing like doing it yourself to give you a warm feeling - let me re-phrase that :oops: .

A couple of comments from my experience (non-supercharger), they may help, they may not.

ChrisL wrote:2. Attach a Mondeo 2.0 Fuel rail: Fuel rail bought but still need to size and buy injectors;

I have an unused inlet manifold complete with all the injectors & fuel rail off my crate Zetec (Focus) I keep meaning to put on E-bay if that's any use to you.

ChrisL wrote:3. Run a new fuel line, existing one is about 6mm dia and am planning on adding a 8 or 10mm to use as the feed, the 6mm will be the return;

I used 8mm pressure & 5mm return & found that the return flexi line on the engine was getting pressurised, so the return was not flowing as much as the system needed it to. I swapped it all for 8mm & it's all fine now.

ChrisL wrote:4. Buy and install LP and HP pumps and swirl pot;

Two things, mount the LP pump somewhere you can get to as they occasionally need a "tap" to get them going & I've made two swirl pots, there's really no cleverness to it, PM me if I can help.

ChrisL wrote:6. Buy and install a MegaSquirt v2.3 not sure if I’ll need a trigger wheel but am planning on giving them a call when I’m a bit further down the road, also if I stop at this point I’ll have injection and it could be the cut off for this year;

I've no experience with megasquirt, but the OMEX factory support is superb & it's pretty much "fit & forget".

ChrisL wrote:8. This will probably mean re-locating the alternator to the exhaust size – big unknown here;.

I've designed alternator brackets & can give you some pointers if it helps.

ChrisL wrote:9. And will need to fit a remote oil filter and possibly cooler.

Easy - Burton Power will sell you all the bits you need & they're not too dear. An "oil-stat" (like a thermostat on the cooling system, but on the oil cooler helps the engine warm up quicker.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Cheers for the advice chaps.

Seems the main take aways so for are:
1. 8mm fuel lines
2. Megasquirt's aint what they're cracked up to be, as it turns out I did go to uni to study electronic engineering, but left a bit early - something to do with beer girls and no money!! So anyone got a working Megasquirt care to re-dress that balance? Thinking Steve RST but he's probably busy doing the Setimolod '17 video!

The plenum build continues, OK no pic's will try harder and I've committed to the 2018 Mega tour - Feck I love deadlines!

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 pm

ChrisL wrote:So anyone got a working Megasquirt care to re-dress that balance

I can help you with the first bit Chris, mine still works, it was a mission getting there as previously described. Mine works ok.. supposed to be full sequential but couldn’t get the cam sensor to work without more fiddling. A bit overkill anyhow for old Skool V8 most don’t bother.

Could probably benefit from a rolling road session. the guru is in Telford Bailey performance. so haven’t bothered. Been a mission getting there.

One spin off benefit, I have learnt a huge amount about ecu’s, setups and maps, tables and bins.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Return to “Car Related Discussion”