My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Hammy

My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I havent posted much on here, what with Facebook and my build thread its just too many places to post to but I thought Id send a photo synopsis... So here we go!!

I had this very well sorted 1.8 Mazda MX5 which was loads of fun...

I thought I'd never build another kit and then I went for a coffee one morning and picked up CKC magazine which had a review of the all new revision of the Exocet, named The GType and I was all like 'oh crap here we go again' !!!

Lots of elbow grease restoring everything on the running gear which was in pretty good shape to be honest...

Its all fully polybushed now with Powerflex fast road kit....Image

Im pleased with my work on fuel and brake lines..Image
Little bits of red detail in the clips and other bits which I think will work well with the black frame, side panels and wings with white bonnet and rear coverImage

I love the new sharp lines of the Gtype body and the new side panels are awesome...Image

More 'red bits'

And nicely stanced, love it!ImageImage

Well there you have it and pics to prove it did happen! Hope you guys like it! Looking forward to getting my scissor lift as my back and knees are killing me!!!!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Postby greenwoo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:02 pm

blimey you must qualify for the 'glutton for punishment' award - all those kits you've built/fettled....fair play!!!!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 pm

greenwoo wrote:blimey you must qualify for the 'glutton for punishment' award - all those kits you've built/fettled....fair play!!!!

I'd like to dedicate this award to a few people..... Mr Kneel Bone, My(ke) Backache, 2 exes and my (current) gorgeous wife AKA SWMBO!

This definitely the last one!!! He says yet again! :lol: :lol:

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Well done John. Is it finished now?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:23 pm

:lol: :lol: NO! as all us builders know its very easy to make it look finished or close to finished by sticking bits on and taking photos. To be honest, its an easy build with a few minor challenges here and there but my plan (based on limited spare time) is IVA feb/march 2019, then shakedown and Stoneleigh 2019. To be honest two weeks off work and funds in the bank and you could (at the stage Im at) finish it to a high standard.

Also I think I'll be finished ahead of schedule but am setting myself realistic and achievable timelines. Family I am putting first and fitting the build in where I can. I've only be on this since March so am doing OK so far

David T

Postby David T » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 am

Looking good there Hammy. This one be a keeper to join us on some runs? He says with own car still in bits!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi Dave, thanks mate and yes to both questions.

Btw I still have those springs for the 5 if you want them

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:16 pm

For those that havent seen the new GType here's some pics of the factory demonstrator, the body has changed dramatically and the chassis has more than 20 changes/improvements.
ImageImage

I love the new side panels and wings and its no longer a controversial 'is it a Fugly' or Marmite car
Ive seen it in the flesh and it looks awesome and purposeful. Over a 1000 of the previous models have sold and the order book has gone absolutely bonkers since the release of the GType......

andyf

Postby andyf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:30 am

David T wrote:Looking good there Hammy. This one be a keeper to join us on some runs? He says with own car still in bits!

Yes we're missing the company David :lol:
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

David T

Postby David T » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 am

Rewire very nearly done, but not yet tested. Hope to be ordering GRP supplies within the week. Getting a bit desperate to be back on the road now.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”