Future MK Indy Owner

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Re: Future MK Indy Owner

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Graearea wrote:Wow, thanks for all the feedback.

I do have a couple of questions.

do becs have _any_ security? you can fit an immobiliser to the car that is thatcham grade so yes. it was asked when I enquired about insurance.
is the performance of hyabusa's that much different to the various 1100s? Any BEC or CEC can be tuned. Others on here will answer this better but a busa has a reputation born out of how the bikes perform. Don’t go too far with it though or they all end up as glass
I assume the cages are weld in so if I find one that is perfect apart from the cage I can take it to MK and have the cage powdercoated and fitted? not all cages are welded in. Mine was custom made and looks like the MK cafe but it has rose jointed rear stays and the whole cage is bolted in. In theory the rose joints allow me to stiffen the rear up when they are adjusted but in reality I’ve never done that. The joints do allow the cage to be removed and fitted without taking the car to bits though.
when insuring it, do I tell them about every single little thing like with my BMW or do they just accept value and engine? I assume these things are a little bit like triggers broom. get a quote from A-Plan insurance as they are on here and look after us very well. They don’t want to know every detail. I know this as I’ve just upgraded mine and because it’s still under 2litres that’s good enough. They have criteria, mileage covered per year, agreed value, BEC, CEC, upto and over 2Litres. Best give them a call to get details

thanks all ! J

See above in red. Hope that helps?

....... Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi John
welcome to the club.

I've owned a Westfield Busa for a few years now and love it, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
There's plenty of discussion on various forums over the pros and cons of BECS vs CECS but it comes down to personal preference and to an extent what you'll use it for. The Busa is the go-to kit engine due to it's great torque, in a light chassis it performs like a CEC and pulls happily from low revs. There are 3 main things to consider when buying a Busa,

reverse gearbox - I have a Westfiled one and plan to keep it but it will need rebuilding every couple of years due to its poor design, others remove it altogether and just get out and push if they need to turn round.
Diff - due to the high gear ratio output from the engine this needs to be as low as possible, mines a sierra 3.14 but they are getting very rare now and many have higher ratio fitted. Mine had a 3.9 when I bought it and at 70mph it was doing 8,000 revs! The diff ratio will also determine the top speed as the engine will run out of revs before it runs out of power.
Dry Sump - the Busa suffers from oil starvation under braking and fast left hand corners when it's on the track. BECs have the engine fitted at 90 deg so the oil is pushed into the clutch and gearbox and out of the sump. It will need to have a modified sump and internal baffle plates of some kind. Most go for a dry sump (don't use the Westfield kit, it's worse than the reverse gearbox), mine has a swinging oil pickup, billet sump and baffle plates from Extreme Engines which is a compromise. A full dry sump kit could set you back around £2k so beware when you are buying!.

Hope this doesn't scare you off too much, like I say, I love it!
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

scotty

Postby scotty » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:53 am

i have recently driven a 1000cc blade bec was a lota fun i think perfect for track driving.i was going to do the same myself but have to use a lota lanes with hills around where the car is kept and the thought of trying push one up hill with no reverse put me off(our traveling friends dont reverse).the owner did own a busa engened bex before(went bang as didnt sort the sump as he was told to by many many people) he says the busa was a little better on the road but theres not much in it on the track.nows the time to buy if ya can you save a lot in the winter.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Graearea

Postby Graearea » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:09 pm

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 767256592/
so I've seen this
"MK Indy Fireblade, new MOT and just had full major service, has the Quaife reverse box, very rare forged split rim alloys, spare good engine, adjustable spax coilovers, cosworth LSD, good tyres, this is a mad fast car, please no time wasters as I just do not have the time, I may swap for the right car"

I've got a couple of issues.

the quaife box is a mystery to me. is this good? bad? I've got a quaife on my 130 and it's bomb proof. I always just assumed an electric reverse was the norm. Steve, you mention having to rebuild the westfield one, is that worse than this? is it not a bit weird to run a different gearbox? I've just assumed that engines and boxes on these cars are almost disposable as they're relatively common and good as they come.

the cage. I really don't like roll bars. is it possible to retrofit an MK cage? by which I mean, send it to MK or someone and get them to do it. I can't weld. I'm happy to spend some money on this and this car looks quite good. not convinced about the spare engine (and I hate the wheels), not calling bullshit, just don't know enough to have an opinion.

the sump. is it just gonna explode on track? is it the same problem with all bike engines as the busa? I appreciate it's sat in the car sideways. do you have to go full accusump or can you get baffled sumps that will work?

again. thanks all for their responses, really encouraging.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:00 am

Can’t comment on the bike engine or Quaife setup, broken V8 man myself.. The whees are Image split rims, a nice set of wheels, though they do have a habit of corroding quite quickly if not looked after. Can’t see what Size they are but new £250-£300 a rim for 14”. Tyres don’t look up to much tbh, can’t see a brand and thread looks chunky. Swap them out for some TD 1.2’s and decent rubber shouldn’t cost you too much as you should get good money for the split rims if in good nick.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi John
firstly, you say you'd be happy to spend some money on this car, be careful. I bought my first Westy with 2l Zetec for £8k and it was immaculate with 1,100 miles on it. My point is that a car of this age, mileage and spec will have a certain price point and you won't get your money back. There are better cars out there for the money IMO.

The reverse box is and additional part. Bikes have the engine, clutch and gearbox combined in one unit using the same oil, the quife or westfiled box is fitted halfway down the two piece propshaft to allow you to reverse the prop's direction. It has nothing to do with the gears you change when driving.
The diff ratio isn't mentioned in the ad and would be nice to know.
AFAIK the blade is ok on the track with a standard or baffled sump but I don't have any personal experience with anything other than Busas. Compared to the Busa the blade engines are dirt cheap so if it does blow you're looking at hundreds instead of thousands.

There's a Westy on ebay that is pretending to be a Megabusa but it's an earlier model that has had the car engine taken out and a Busa put in, nothing wrong with that in itself but the price is way over the odds because of it. There are also a few nice ones on there around the £8k mark. Don't rush into anything but go and look at some to get a feel and something to compare it with.
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

scotty

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:29 am

as engines go the blade lump ia a cracker,i despatched one untill over 200k with very little maintanice,many people turbo them in cars and have been for a long time so theres a lota knowledge about.have a look about on the net.
from what i remember i think the quaife was one of the better reverse boxe.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”