Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Well it been a long time coming, but having been on the road since 2008, having taken 4 1/2 years to build from the Ron Champion book, my scratch built Locost Eleanor has been facing a full strip and rebuild for some time now.
Being used all year round come rain or shine I was aware that the chassis/floor was in need of some care and attention that i could no access as part of annual nut and bolt checks, re application of 2 pack epoxy.

A full rebuild being avoided till now as do not want the car to be off the road too long, i love having it available at the drop of a hat, taking part in the various club activites during the year, breckie runs as well as off grid shows like stoneleigh and the Bromley pageant.
So since limping home from another great road trip with a sick engine ( i think it actually broke an oil ring on RR a few days before the off ) having used in excess of 10 litres of oil in 8 days an engine change was at very least what was going to happen, aded to that the seized WW motor that occured on the Monday and having to sufffer Ace Venturra driving for the ''1 or 2'' five minutes showers we encoutnered, the motor being BURRIED under the scuttle for the duration of it life and me being 10 years older, far less nimble and flexiable than i was, the scuttle would have to come off for that one, this requiring the removal of the complete interior.
The add on's in the wiring since meeting SKCC have added to my dislike of the loom due to lack of space around the fuse box area and in need of complete rewiring.

The body and paint work having suffered copious amount of damage also needs attantion.

So the last couple of weeks, weekends, evening have been spent removing all items from the car, chucking them in boxes awaiting sorting and reconditioning. This involved loads of contorting myself into nooke and cranniess, swearing, grinding, dremmeling, swearing, degreasing of my body parts and swearing again as well as aches and pains the following days.

So what will i do as past of the rebuild.
Engine, Pinto/Zetec/something else, carbs or injections, umm had a chat with matt, offered advise and even a old Zetec block for sizing.
but i do have 2 good to go Pintos and no need to switch exhaust sdes and repair bonnet

Exhaust collector and box need replacing

Heater, GONE never to grace my bulkhead again, never used it and just right to place my new wiring fuse box and relays.

Screen, umm probably stay and not sure i could handle the raw appeal of an aero

Colour, now i love the present two tone and blues, but might fancy some thing different, but not sure what ?

So this is how she looks at present.

WP_20180615_18_31_19_Pro.jpg
Present garage view

WP_20180615_18_31_37_Pro.jpg
Drivers floor delaminating

WP_20180615_18_31_47_Pro.jpg
rear panel behind pass seat

WP_20180615_18_32_01_Pro.jpg
chassis rail

WP_20180615_18_32_18_Pro.jpg
base of roll rbar

WP_20180615_18_32_45_Pro.jpg
Oil mess from latest engine

WP_20180615_18_33_07_Pro.jpg
Gearbox tunnel will never rust

I am really looking forward to getting the junk and jet washer out to clean the remaining grease that has not found it way onto me over the past two week off, followerd by the wire brush and grinder.

I did consider getting another kit car to use for the duration of the rebuild, this has not come about, but to be fair this would mean too much time maintianing and driving that rather than concentrating on Eleanor.
I will how ever be asking to get involved in Breckie runs, passenger rides from time to time to keep me sain when the cabin fever kicks in

Budget for the works, Zero as usual, or what i can slide away, mortage is coming to an end so there a few more ££s avaialbe each month.
Time scale as short as possible, engine choice may be influences by that, but realistically end of the year i suppose
the Green car i hope to use for at least the North Wield event if needed.

Your comments/suggestions/ideas will be welcome
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

graham b

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby graham b » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Bit of a project then.
Pax ride u r always welcome.
Hope all goes well
And Eleanor is re born soon.
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Dick

Postby Dick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Must say Rich the old girl looks not to bad very little corrosion is visible in those photos, could be down to how well it was done first time or the liquid rust protection benefits of running an old pinto .

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Good luck with the rebuild, happy to assist if you ever need a hand :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Rich, I am in shock, Eleanor out of action ? never been herd of well since i have been a member.
Hope it goes well for you and if you need a ride just shout, if you need a hand again just shout mate.
If you need any spares let me know, I can still get pinto stuff so just shout.

All the best
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Nash

Postby Nash » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Oh no this summer upgraditous is contagious! Well played Rich. If there is anything you need or I can help with just give me a shout.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 pm

I look forward to seeing her reborn, lots of photos please :)

It's going to be a lot of work, but hopefully much more satisfying than repair/servicing.

I would encourage you to swap to a more modern and lighter engine. It should help the handling, and reduce fuel consumption. The 1.6 Ford Zetec Se engine in my car goes well and gives nearly 40mpg on a long run. The exhaust is on the right too. If you can get a 1.7 from a Puma they are supposed to give around 150bhp fairly easily.

russtik

Postby russtik » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:23 pm

DJ. wrote:If you can get a 1.7 from a Puma they are supposed to give around 150bhp fairly easily.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, and the exhaust is on the same side as a Pinto. Should be efficient running on injection while at the same time being responsive and revving well. Surely gotta be worth trying a heart transplant seeing as you've gone to the trouble of stripping back to bare chassis?

Oh and as an interim car perhaps you could get a cheap MX5 for a bit of top-down fun? Just don't do anything stupid like deciding to use an MX5 solely and getting rid of you kit car ;)
Current: Fisher Fury Spyder - 16v Toyota 4AGE
Previous: Road Runner SR2 Turbo - SOLD
Previous: Tiger Avon - Raceline Zetec-R

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 am

The best of luck with your new project Rich,
keep the photos coming.
Look forward to the new improved Eleanor
Kev
ST170 Tiger cat E1