Swirl pot

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Flyingtiger

Swirl pot

Postby Flyingtiger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Like everyone else I started a ‘to do’ list for all this ‘spare time’ I thought I would have – wished I hadn’t as it keeps growing! :roll: Been great reading about all of your upgrades though!

Now be gentle, pretty novice at this stuff still – I’m looking at adding a swirl pot as I seem to cough/splutter on long left handers which makes sense as the tank feed is on the left. Been looking through some of the threads here as well as outside and jeez, there is a lot of info and difference of opinion! :?
So before I launch off and spent my dosh on the wrong stuff, any advice much appreciated please …

Currently have tank-filter-HP pump-filter-fuel rail-regulator-return to tank for a weber TB setup. I assume it’s the standard Tiger tank. Will post some pics shortly.

Thinking of getting an OBP 1L pot and if mounted near the tank, should be fairly simple re-plumb with addition of an LP pump. Any recommendations as to which LP pump? I’m looking at the Facet Cube LP but there is a lot of differing ideas as to what is best. Also can I just take the power feed from the HP pump to supply the LP, (assuming the current draw is OK)?

I think progress may be slow but will keep the post updated. First job, where to fit the pot!

Then it’s the shocks, the rad, the dash … ;)
Tiger Supercat 2.0 Zetec.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Swirl pot

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 pm

the alternative could be ( depending height/space )...to rip out the existing tank, go to the local welders and get them to; a/ increase the size by adding a 'shore box' type affair on top ( if extra capacity would be handy) - thats what i did on my old Cat. b/ get them to create a small 'sump' under the tank to act as the swirl pot .....if you go that route as long as the outlet is similar height to the HP pump ( or ideally a tad higher) then you'd do away with the LP pump/external swirl pot.

i'd bet that a welder wouldnt charge more than 125/150 for that which is probs about same as LP/external....

just a thought.

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:32 pm

mm.. like that idea, less joints and things to go wrong too. I'm hoping to get in and take a look later but i think the HP pump sits quite a bit lower. Cheers for that.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 pm

I’ve run both options on two cars, both worked well. The sump used a hp pump mounted in the tank, Subaru Impreza style. Elises do the same using a Lexus setup I believe.

Facets are good I use a red top as a lift pump currently along with a Bosch 044 HP pump mounted externally on my current swirl pot system. Don’t forget to fit in line fuel filters otherwise you’ll have reliability problems with blockages and knackered pumps. Also pay the extra to use genuine pumps, they work hard and the the Chinese tat will let you down.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:54 pm

FWIW - i took my old tank from 5 gals or whatever it was up to 8.5/9 just by having a 'box' welded to the top.
popped the filler in the top - which made for easier/faster filling.....

I cant have a 'sump' style swirl on the r6, as tank sits very low....but if i could, i would, and if you pull the tank to do that - i would def increase the capacity and have them route an internal pipe straight into the 'sump' and pop a feed into the top of the tank to connect to....as you'd want to return fuel to the sump not the tank in general.

think we had a discussion about this on Rich's thread last year, but i recall the gist ( well my argument ) was that the sump only needs to be small to hold say 1/2 a litre. Given that you're returning fuel to it, you'd have to have 1 hell of an engine & bend to need much more?

Alextreme

Postby Alextreme » Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm

I did exactly as you proposed with a bosch LP pump. As others have mentioned, be careful as in general on our cars, there is not much space under the tanks and to keep the gubbins away from the suspension. I think in the end I used an OBD 0.5l tank and this immediately solved the problems and it gave me a bit more distance away from the suspension!

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri May 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Ring Tiger and ask there advice. I had two tigers and of it were me I would look to install something with less points of failure... In tank baffles would be my option. Tiger would probably supply you with one to suit and you could sell your old tank on eBay after a clean up.

Another option to try which would cost you about 50 quid is baffle foam. You can buy it in blocks but again you'd need to cut the tank to be effective because it needs to cover the bottom of the tank.

Try eBay? You might find a similar size tank with baffles and you may just need to replace and extend some rubber lines?

I went all out on my last car with internal baffle walls and foam..this new car I have car has tank sump with a ringed lip to prevent fuel coming out of the sump on cornering and a swirl pot too...but tbh had they asked me the exact set up I would have done away with the swirl pot as it's got more points of failure..

I think your best option in my opinion is call tiger and get a bigger tank with internal baffles.. good luck 8-)

And yes you can take power from one pump to the other but just check draw is ok..and not pulling too much through fuse/ relay.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Dick

Postby Dick » Fri May 01, 2020 2:27 pm

Swirl pot is normally the cheapest option , remember the swirl pot can go anywhere in the car it dont need to go in the back of the car by the tank if room is tight. Have run mine with a swirl pot and it never gave me any problems but changed to very large tank with an inbuilt swirl pot as i got sick off having to stop every 70 miles to fill up. The swirl pot dont need to be that big a 1 lt will run just about anything round any race track in the uk. The small cube pumps are ideal for this but one thing worth doing is restricting the return to the main tank to reduce the load, best off running a separate ignition feed to the small pump with correct fuse as it will have continuous power and the correct fuse rating . If you dont want a large tank go with the swirl pot easy to install and reliable. Have fitted a few large tanks to kit cars but still added external swirl pots to them .

Flyingtiger

Postby Flyingtiger » Sat May 02, 2020 2:44 pm

So, firstly the magnet proved it's a steel tank, not ally! :roll: By my calcs it's roughly 28l/6.25 gal but there is plenty of room front and back to expand, less so vertically because of the filler neck in the rear tub.
IMG_3672.JPG

Recon i have enough room to drop a 'sump' down on the left to give 0.8-1.0l, diff gets in the way for central and that will give me just enough to mount the HP pump just below.
IMG_3673.JPG
looking down the left side, left shock top mount at bottom of photo.
IMG_3675.JPG
looking up!

Found a local fabricator on recommendation, so waiting for his sharp intake and chin rubbing before he gives me a quote. Also going to see how much for a new tank in ally but probably off budget atm. All this time and no bloody money coming in! Depending on the quotes, it's probably going to be a swirl pot job, found a place to squeeze that in if needed.

Also checked, pre filter is the Sytec bullet in the pics, HP pump is Walbro Gsl 393, post filter is Sytec sealed metal disposable type. Glad I started as when I touched the HP pump wire, it just fell off (honest guv)! not had any problems (other than g load) but how often should these filters be replaced?
IMG_3676.JPG

Anyway thanks for the hints and tip all, will give Tiger a call too!

keep you posted ...

Dick

Postby Dick » Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm

Dont forget to change the tank you have to take the back of the car off. You can get a very large tank in the back

Return to “Car Related Discussion”