Cutting out and non starting!!

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

stevie040

Cutting out and non starting!!

Postby stevie040 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:50 pm

I've had the car for a few days and got some issues. The car hasn't been used regularly for a while so was expecting some issues

Anyway the car started first time today however if I take my foot off the pedal it struggle then cut out. It did this today and then wouldn't start. Eventually I got it going and took her out and all was well however I do have a misfire around 2.5k rpm up to 3.5k rpm once through that it will power through the rev range.

As I got home stopped at traffic lights and once again it cut out and again wouldn't start. It would just turn over but not fire. Again eventually it fired up but once stopping again it just dies

Any thoughts??

Tony T

Re: Cutting out and non starting!!

Postby Tony T » Wed May 27, 2015 4:01 pm

Ok mate we need more.What engine carbs or in injection and what ignition :D

Tony T

steve m

Postby steve m » Wed May 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi Steve,

Well, I have exactly the same problem, and do you know why ?
were running xflows !
Mine is only a 1630, with a 270 cam, but running a downdraught carb at the moment

Because of the cam, ive set the idle for around 1100, any less than that and it will stall, at the drop of a hat, no matter what

the only way I can restart it is with a couple of dabs on the gas, and spin it over, and hope it fires !

if not ive even resorted to pulling the choke out, even when the engine is hot, and retrying and will always get it going, but quite lumpy for a second or so

hope that helps

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

stevie040

Postby stevie040 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Half the issue is not knowing the full spec of my car.

It has a distributor, Kent cam, intake mani has Vulcan written on it. It's running twin dellorto carbs to

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed May 27, 2015 5:19 pm

If it hasn't run for a long time, the first thing I would think of is stale fuel and or water in the tank. It's probably worth changing the fuel filter and having a look in the float chambers. If the tank is near empty, I'd drain it off and start with a tank of new fuel as well.

stevie040

Postby stevie040 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Is this sort of issue a characteristic of the crossflow engine or are we both experiencing the same fault??

steve m

Postby steve m » Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm

1970-80's fords were renown for this issue, and normally hot starts were the problem

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

stevie040

Postby stevie040 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 pm

How do u irradicate it?? It just cuts out not idling etc

scotty

Postby scotty » Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Maybe worth getting the carbs tuned, get some clean fuel through them or better still give them a clean but decent fuel will give a sorta clean if any old fuel has been left to evapourat then get to some one like bd engineering?
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

^^ this^^
My 1630 ran on Dellortos & didn't cut so don't just think it's what they do. Is the choke connected? From memory there's a short lever on top of each carb. Often these aren't connected as folk say the chokes don't work anyway. So if fresh fuel doesn't help:-
1/ make sure both the choke levers are right off - it could be flooding when hot.
2/ are carbs connected to the manifold properly? There should be spring or rubber washers on the carb nuts to allow the carbs to move a bit, if it's not right they leak air at idle.
3/ get it on a rolling road - somewhere where they understand carbs.

I connected the chokes on mine, at first so I could be sure they were right off, but I found it started much easier on the choke (doh - who'd have thought :roll: ). I have a four manometer carb balancer if you're local to Guildford. I found balancing the carbs improved the idling & general reliability no end.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”