Hello

So you've just joined, why not say a few words to introduce yourself - a bit about you, your car - whatever!

Moderator: Contaminated

SpyderMan

Hello

Postby SpyderMan » Fri May 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Hello all.
New to the group, so just thought I would say Hello.
Had a couple of kit cars in the past, and recently went back to the mad world of kits with the purchase of a Midtec Spyder. The cars in fairly good condition, with just 3500 miles since build. It has a 1.6 Pinto at the moment with twin carbs.
Decision now is do I take it all apart and do a full rebuild, including powder coating the chassis etc, or just drive it?
Anyway, hope I get to a few meets at some point and meet fellow minded owners.

SJLB

Re: Hello

Postby SJLB » Fri May 04, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Spyderman,
welcome to SKCC! Quite an unusual car you've got there, any pics you could share? If I were you, I'd keep it on the road and enjoy the summer before you pull it apart for an overhaul, assuming it's runs reasonably well as it is.
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri May 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Welcome to SKCC :)
I'm interested to see your car too.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi there.
As Steve said enjoy it now whilst you can so you can decide what need doing and what you want to change just for the sake of it.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

steve m

Postby steve m » Fri May 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Welcome

I would be inclined to have a very good look at everything on the car , take apart the vitals as in suspension and check them over, but if its running and has an mot, go for it and enjoy the summer, but be aware, kit cars made by someone else god knows what theve done !!

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SpyderMan

Postby SpyderMan » Sat May 05, 2018 4:56 am

Thanks for the welcome, and the replies.
I will post pics later today.
The car was built by an engineer for his daughter, and from what I have seen so far looks to have been built very well. The only problems are:
- Car is running very rich and the choke does not work (need the Dellorto carbs serviced and tuned properly)
- Brakes are very poor (new discs/pads and change of fluid I think)
- Suspect the wheel alignment/tracking is out as handling is not as positive as I would have expected (need to check all suspension components)

Overall though, I am very pleased with the car. I drove it 200 miles to get it home and it worked perfectly. Some little bodywork issues (to be expected on a car that is 20 plus years old) and an interior colour change (yellow is not my favourite colour).

One problem I do have is finding out exactly what shocks and springs were used by the factory and what suitable replacements are available? The paperwork that came with the car does not specify any details at all, not even in the build manual.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 am

Sounds like you have a good platform to start with. How much gain would you get from stripping it and rebuilding?

Looking forward to seeing you out and about in the car.

Paul

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat May 05, 2018 6:40 am

Hello Nick and welcome to the club.

For what it's worth I would sort the essentials, brake service, carb service (BD Engineering are good for the carbs) and geometry alignment. All quick jobs. Then drive the car for the rest of the summer and get to know its foibles and work out what you want to do about them, make a plan for the winter.

Once again, welcome

.......Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat May 05, 2018 7:33 am

welcome along.....yep, i'd be driving it and working out what i might want to change once summer has gone....

Return to “New Members - Say Hello Please”